Wednesday 3 October 2012

Clermont L'Herault (Part Deux)

My landlord, Marianne, is this amazing, older woman (I have no idea how old but I would guess 60s) she has been so kind in trying to show us all that this small town has to offer. Yesterday she asked my house mate Carlos and I if we wanted to go for a walk... I had no idea i'd be going for a two and half hour hike up a mountain.

The views from the top were beautiful. You could see all the villages that lay below. As we were walking, Marianne explained that at the times of Shepherds, this trail and mountain were a common route and area to keep sheep. Through out the trail there were these little stone huts that still stand, where shepherds would come to rest, lay out tools and or do whatever shepherds do. They are really cute and cozy, but we noticed that on this warm sunny day, that these little huts insulate cold air very well. Marianne then told us that during the winter time she would come here with her children and the huts were nice and warm and protected them well from the cold. It's crazy that these little huts, from their simple design could be so versatile, makes you wonder about how much energy we put into making all these complicated machines when simple design can generally do the trick.
 




Throughout the whole mountain there is so much wild plant life to see. Whenever I travel I'm always so envious other countries that have fruits, veggies and herbs, growing wild anywhere and everywhere. You just don't come across that living in a Toronto suburb. As we strolled, Marianne showed us all the olive trees, that Clermont L'Herault is famous for. Wine and Olive Oil are Clermont L'Herault's two biggest industries. Along with Olives, we saw thyme growing everywhere, fig trees and other various plant species.


From atop the mountain we were able to look down on all the little villages that surround the H'erault area. In the picture bellow, I'm standing right above the town that I am currently living in. Marianne, was able to point out exactly where the house is but I can no longer make out the different homes. 


I am really beginning to fall in love with this little town. I've always preferred big, busy cities but I am developing an new appreciation for a small town kinda life. I am very lucky to have Marianne and her eagerness to show off her village. This town that I thought would make me feel trapped is getting bigger everyday! 


1 comment: