Sunday 21 October 2012

Montpellier (Part Un)

So while I'm in France I am living just outside this really beautiful city named Montpellier. Currently better known as last year's French League futbol champions.

Montpellier is a very interesting city because it is one of the only city in france without Roman heritage or Greek foundations. The city was a main port for trading on the Mediterranean where Muslim and Jewish populations flourished. Montpellier is also home to one of the oldest Universities in the world!

I haven't had a chance yet to visit museums and other such things but I have had several chances to walk around the town. I really love Montpellier because it has everything you expect from a French town; beautiful windows, narrow windy roads, cute boutiques, quaint alleys, historical architecture and many cafes, all without the huge amount of tourists.

When walking around Montpellier, you really don't feel like a tourist. You feel like one of the locals because it's not over run my tourists like some other French cities.

The shopping in Montpellier is very satisfying with all the huge staple stores like Zara, small cute boutiques, inexpensive trendy clothing, or specialty stores such as my favorite, The Tin Tin store :D


 I am a big fan of archetectual arches... I have no idea why. But I was so happy to see one right here in Montpellier. La Porte du Peyrou is a beautiful arch that stands on the outside of Montpellier's old city. It is beautiful in it's own regard. the detailing and the beautiful carvings are breathtaking. The arch then leads up to La Place Royal du Peyrou where a huge structure (I have no idea what to call it) stands which is absolutely beautiful. The pale yellow of the stone just gives it such a richness that I love. France is just full of history, it really makes you realize how much more swag they had in ancient  times compared to now. We don't even compare when it comes to ballin' out.


Place De La Comédie is sorta like the center of it all, normally a landmark used to meet up with people "Place De La Comédie? at 12:00? By the fountain? Cool?" On several occasions I've showed up at the Place De La Comédie, looking for people I have never met before, and have only seen on facebook. Great place to meet! La Comédie is the Oprah center that stands on one side of the plaza. Then off to the side there is a carousel. French people love carousels, they are everywhere! This plaza also branches out to all the different streets a couple leading you into the old town, another leading to the train station, and then others leading to shopping malls and other places.

I can't wait to discover more and more of Montpellier, I am hoping to head into the city more often to hit the museums, and maybe some tours, where I can get a better understanding of the city and it's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment