Sunday 11 November 2012

Biarritz

After spending two nights in Toulouse, my friend Vanja and I were on our way to Biarritz! We had only heard wonderful things about this small town. I have a soft spot for all surf towns because they always remind me of my boyfriend, so when I heard about Biarritz I knew I had to check it out. We took the train from Toulouse to Biarritz, which is always fun because not only do you get to see the country side, but you get to discover other beautiful towns, that you otherwise would never have thought to visit. For instance we past by Lourdes and I instantly became fascinated and now I am definitely making plans to visit. The views from your train seat are sometimes more beautiful than when you're actually walking around the towns themselves.

As we came into Biarritz Vanja and began to feel the excitement as we saw surfers with surf boards in hand coming and going from the train station. We hopped on the bus, checked into our hotel and were in and out of our room within minutes. We only had the rest of the day, and the next early morning in Biarritz so we really needed to make the most of our time.

The minute we stepped out and could see the sea we understood what all the hype was about. This tiny little town holds more WOW! than you could imagine. The coast line was like something out of a magazine. It couldn't be more perfect and more serene if it tried. Seeing all the surfers out in the sea and the cafes that lined the coast just made me want to stay here forever. I could only imagine the life you could live there. We were lucky enough to arrive on bright sunny day when the air was fresh and crisp.


Biarritz is also considered part of French Basque country which, I think, is why the architecture seems a little different from traditional French architecture, it could also be the proximity to the spanish boarder. Basque is quite interesting in that it is a language with no linguistic ties to any other language and their community, much like Quebec, has for years held on to their culture and have tried to separate several times. Our next stop, San Sebastian, is a city located in the Spanish Basque region

After our first day in Biarritz we couldn't wait to wake up bright and early the next day and take to more beaches and coastline views!!! The next morning we headed up the opposite direction and found ourselves at another beach. This beach line wasn't quite as grand but definitely just as beautiful. This particular beach was located at the bottom of a cliff, so there weren't any cafes and shops that surrounded it. Instead it seemed like the place to go for surf schools. The sea was filled with morning surf classes. I so badly wanted to get into the water and join them, but I didn't bring my wetsuit! I was so lucky to get to see one of the most amazing homes and now my dream home, which sat right on the beach. I don't know who lives in this house but how badly I wish it was me!


As our stroll came to an end we had to say good bye to Biarritz and catch our next train to San Sebastian!






No comments:

Post a Comment