Thursday 8 November 2012

Paris


So a while ago I headed out to Paris for the weekend, to see my mom <3 and to catch up with some old friends from Australia. Because of the weather and because I have plans to return to Paris as a true tourist, I refrained from doing most of the touristy things. Having said that, it's almost impossible to be in Paris and not to stumble across magnificent sights and beauty. Walking through Paris is literally like walking through a text book. History at every corner!

When I arrived in Paris, my friend's friend picked me up from Gare De Lyon on his Moto taxi. Moto Taxis are basically taxis that are motorcycles. They are ultra fast because they weave through Parisian traffic with such ease. I am scared to death from motorcycles, but I must say it was fun!

When I got to my hotel, I finally was reunited with my mother! It was so nice to see her, and in true mother daughter fashion we took to arguing almost immediately. So nice to be back with my mother!

We took off into the streets of Paris, with no plan and complete confusion. We found ourselves quite close to the Notre Dame. I was so excited to finally see the church of all churches! I've always been a fan of everything Gothic being a fan of Marilyn Manson :P I was really taken away by it's beauty and stunned by it's size... which would be a reoccurring feeling as I discovered more and more of Paris.  My whole life I was always shown pictures of the Notre Dame from the front, but I had no idea that from behind it was just as beautiful and even more striking. This just goes to show that a picture never beats the real deal.


The next day was our full day in Paris, so my mother and I got up early and set out on an intense day of sight seeing. We found that the best way to get around the city was via Metro. The Metro in Paris seems complicated at first, especially being from a 3 line Subway system in Toronto, but it's actually super simple. We used the Metro to get us close to Montmartre, which is the highest point in Paris. It is also the location of the breathtaking Sacré Coeur.


When I came up to the Sacré Coeur and got to take my first look at it, I was speechless, it was so expansive and stunning. By far one of those moments in life where you stop in your tracks and are forced to just stand there and stare. I was definitely star struck. You think you've seen all that could amaze you for the day and then you turn around and see this wonderful view of Paris. All of a sudden you understand what all the hype, what all the romance, what all the adoration, is about. Paris literally takes your breath away time after time!


 After Monmartre we made our way back down to leveled ground and walked all the way to Galeries Lafayette. I knew we had arrived when we saw the sea of asians holding Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Gucci and whatever other designer name bags. The mall was radiant and beautiful but way too busy for my liking, and it's not like I could afford anything anyways.

After Galleries Lafayette my mother and I found the rain to be too much for us to take anymore, so we decided a museum was in order. We went to Museé d'Orsey, and when we got there, the lines were snaking around the entire building. My mother and I thought, there is no way we are waiting in this. On our way out we noticed a news stand that had a sign that said, Museé tickets available here, so my mother went and asked what it was about, turns out he was selling tickets for the same price and with these tickets you get line bypass. So obviously we bought them and made our way right into the Museum.

Museé d'Orsey is an old train station that has been turned into a museum. The museum carries paintings from the turn of the 19th century into the 20th and is well known for it's extensive collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art pieces. I'm one of those people who loves seeing art works up close and personal. A simple copy never seems to be good enough. I remember the first time I saw my first Frida Kahlo pieces in real life. I was mesmerized and overly ecstatic by it's realness. I felt the same way in this case when I got to see more Van Gogh and Monet. The Museum itself sets the perfect atmosphere to be surrounded by such master pieces. By far one of my favorite Museums to date. I don't know if the Louvre will be able to out do d'Orsey for me.

Three hours later the rain settled and my mother and I had an art overload, we decided to get back out there and see some more of Paris. We walked over to La Place de la Concorde, this is where the huge Obelisk stands, it's the most common starting point of the Champs-Élyseé and about a million more things. It's such an intense spot! Thinking about all the blood that was shed here during the revolution and the fact that both Mary Antoinette and Louis XVI were both executed right there is just so much to take in! Standing in history, literally! So much of history happened here and it's just so cool to finally be standing right there.

From La Place de la Concorde we began to make our way down Les Champs-Élyseé, the crowds of people who make their way down this street is overwhelming. Cameras snapping away, huge stores, cafes, it all very much resembled New York's 5th Avenue. When my mom and I finally made it to the end I found myself in front of what I had been waiting to see since learning about it for the first time in grade four. I was finally standing in front of the l'Arc de Triomphe! I remember falling in love with this monument when I was nine years old, learning about the history of Paris and about Napoleons erection of the monument after his victory of the Battle of Austrelitz. I think I fell in love with it simply because while all the other students were fascinated by Le Tour Eiffel, I decided I just had to be different. For some reason my love for the l'Arc never faded and up until now I still find it so beautiful! As with everything else in Paris I was taken away by it's size, photos do not do it justice. It was humungous. I didn't climb up into the L'arc cause I know I will be returning to Paris in the spring so while I got to see l'Arc de Triomphe, my anticipation and hunger for discovery is not yet satisfied!


My day of exploring Paris was coming to an end, as later in the evening I was going out to a night club and the next day I was to spend the day with some friends! Paris is an amazing city, and lives up to it's reputation. It's crazy busy but worth all the hussle! I can't wait to return in the spring and see a less grey city and even more of Paris

And I know what you're thinking... where is the Eiffel Tower?? I think I'm the only person in the world who goes to Paris for the first time and doesn't go to see the Eiffel Tower. I guess just one more thing for me to do upon my return! 









1 comment:

  1. I'm loving the detailed descriptions of your travels, Karin! Very informative and interesting.

    The trip up to l'Arc was one of my favourite parts of Paris, I think the view from up there is more fascinating than the Eiffel's :)

    ReplyDelete