Saturday 10 November 2012

Toulouse

So France is this amazing country where students get a ridiculous amount of time off school. I was one month into my assistantship when before I knew it, it was Toussaint, a two week holiday! I decided that during this two week holiday I would go visit my lovely friend Lisa in Madrid who was doing a similar teaching assistant program there. On my way to Madrid I would stop in three towns; Toulouse, Biarritz and San Sebastian!

My journey began quite rocky on my way to Toulouse when I got to the train station in Montpellier and found out all the trains were delayed by at least a half hour, some an hour. I tried to save myself a few euros by purchasing an evening train at eight which quickly backfired since, with all the delays I wouldn't be arriving to Toulouse until midnight. In all the delays my particular train got canceled and so I had to hop onto a train to Bordeaux which was stopping in Toulouse as well. Luckly with my phone plan I get unlimited calls to Canada so I took this opportunity to make some phone calls back home!

When I finally arrived in Toulouse, it was go go go. My friend Vanja picked me up from the train station, we quickly headed over to her resident shared apartment, dropped my bags off and took to the streets of Toulouse. It was fun meeting assistants in Toulouse. We went to a house party then headed on out to the clubs... only problem is we didn't get into any until about three in the morning.

The next morning Vanja and I decided that a nice day of walking aimlessly and doing some window shopping was in order. We started by visiting La Basilique de Saint-Sernin. This church was built in 1120 which is incredibly old when you really think about it. The church is huge and decadent. ! found it to be very unique, in it's structure, design and the way the interior is decorated. I love visiting churches because I find them so extra, and over the top.


After the church journeyed into the heart of the city. We stopped in Capitole which is this huge plaza, which unfortunately was being used up for some city event, so I wasn't able to capture a proper photo. It seemed this was the main square to hold city events since, while I was there they had something going on for children and then the next day a marathon that ended at Capitole. None the less it's very beautiful.



The rest of Toulouse really spoke for it's self. With it's lively streets and it's vibrant student culture. It's a young city, perfect for anyone looking for that city life. Toulouse's architecture is absolutely stunning, I found it to be some of my favorite out of all the French cities I have been to. Every corner was more decorated than the last, and as my friend kept pointing out, there were hidden alleys leading to even more beauty. The doors, the windows, each with it's unique character... in true french style. I was told that Toulouse is referred to as France's rose city, because of it's red tinted buildings.



I really did enjoy my time in Toulouse and looking forward to one day returning. It was unfortunate that my time there was cut short but there is so much more of France to see. I find that I can never seem to spend enough time at each city! I guess I'm just gonna have to look underneath the couch cushions  for some spare time to return.


No comments:

Post a Comment