Wednesday 26 September 2012

NICE!!!! (Part Un)

Today I got to spend the whole day in Nice, from wake to sleep (except I'm still awake)

I began my day ultra early at 8:00am. I had to pick up my train ticket for tomorrow and buy a my Carte 12-26, which is a card that allows you to travel on French trains at a discounted rate, and since I had already bought my ticket claiming to have this card, it was essential I actually got one.

After the train station I walked down Avenue Jean Médecin. It's this long street that the tramway runs through. There are no cars and much of the street is filled with pedestrians, shops, department  stores, restaurants and cafes. Along the walk I came across the beautiful Basilique Notre Dame. I got to see it both last night and during the day. Both times it was just as beautiful.

Basilique Notre Dame


Walking down Avenue Jean Médecin lead me right into Vieux Nice (Old Nice). This part of Nice was by far my favorite and I could only assume it's also the favorite of most people. Everything from the narrow streets to the decorative windows to the markets just made me fall more and more in love at every step. There is a road named Marché Aux Fleurs which turns into one of the nicest food markets I had ever seen. Beautiful flower bouquets for as little as 10 Euros!! So many delicious fruits and veggies! The biggest figs I had ever seen, loads of Olives and one stand that had the most delicious looking candies and dried fruit!!!

 After Old Nice, I headed down to the coast to walk along the board walk which was beautiful. The water is a brilliant shade of turquoise, and the coast line is stunning with all the Mediterranean homes. It was weird to see the beach not have sand, but instead a pebbly shore. There were quite a number of people out sun bathing but I found it odd that they didn't think the huge pebbles were uncomfortable.



No comments:

Post a Comment